- How We Collect and Use Personal Data and Other Information
- Data Collection Technologies and Consumer Choice
- How We Share or Disclose Your Information
- Other Limitations on Privacy
- Opting-Out, Access, Corrections and Cancellations
- Minors' Privacy and Submissions
- International Transfer
- Our Commitment to Security
1. How We Collect and Use Personal Data and Other Information
In order to operate the Services, maximize your experience, and provide you with enhanced Services, we may collect and use information, some of which may be considered personal data. If we can use information, alone or in combination, to reasonably identify you as an individual, we treat the information as personal data. We collect information from and about you in the following ways:
A. Information Provided By You. You may also choose to provide us with information, some of which may be personal data, when you interact with the Services in the following ways:
- Register a user account—you may register a user account using your e-mail address, which we will use to provide you personalized services and track your preferences.
- Complete a survey—for example, you may choose to provide us an e‑mail address so that we can contact you about your survey response;
- Register for a contest, sweepstakes or other promotion —for example, you may provide your telephone and home address and we may be legally obligated to disclose this information if you win;
- Send us an e-mail message or complete an inquiry form to receive additional information–for example, you might e‑mail us with a question and we will use your e‑mail address to respond to your inquiry;
- Submit a comment, leave feedback, or send us a photo or video—for example, you might submit a cool photo of a weather event you experienced that we may post on the Services so others can enjoy it;
- Report weather or other conditions — for example, you might tell us that the weather in your area is cold or rainy and we may associate that information with your account; and
- Customize the Services — for example, you might set a "home" location so that every time you visit the Services, you are automatically displayed the weather for that home location.
B. Automatic Collection. We also collect certain information through automated means. Some of the information we collect through automated means may, whether alone or combined with other data, be personal data. For example, we automatically collect
- Information about your device and device capabilities
- Information about your device operating system
- Information about your browser
- Information about how you use the Services
- Your activities on the Services
- IP address
- Advertising identifiers
- Mobile or Internet Carrier
- Browser type
- Browser identifier
- Referring URL
This information helps us to understand, analyze and measure how users use the Services; manage Services' operations; deliver and measure the effectiveness of advertisements; help diagnose problems; recognize repeat visitors; and facilitate your access to and use of the Services.
C. Location Information. We also collect location information through the Services so that we can offer you certain location-based services (such as severe weather alerts through our mobile applications), provide advertisements that are relevant to your geographic location, and conduct analytics to improve the Services. The way in which we collect location information is different depending on whether you are accessing the Services through a website or a mobile application.
If you are accessing the Services through the Site, we use various technologies, including HTML5, to detect your location so that we can automatically show you the weather for your area, rather than some random location. Depending on browser type, your browser may inform you that the Site would like to collect your location and request your permission to do so. If you allow it, location information is then collected and may be stored locally on your device. If you decline the collection of location information, your location is not collected and you must manually enter your location.
If you are accessing the Services through one of our mobile applications, the way we collect location information will differ depending on your mobile device's operating system. If you decline to allow location information collection, your location is not collected and you must type in a location or zip code to see the weather for that location or zip code.
In the event you allow location information collection through your mobile device, we may collect precise geographic location information. Whether we can collect precise location information is controlled by your device's operating system. Our collection methods include GPS, cellular network location and other location-based services. Depending on your mobile device's operating system, we typically receive the latitude and longitude of your mobile device, as well as date and time, but the precision of latitude and longitude varies greatly and is determined by various factors controlled by your device or mobile service provider.
Turning off location-based services in the Intellicast mobile application also will disable certain other aspects of the Services, such as location-based severe alerts. However, you may still receive alerts for any location that you entered into one of our mobile applications.
D. Alerts and Notifications. Certain Services offer you the ability to receive push notifications for weather-related updates. To provide these Services, we may need to collect your e-mail address, phone number, device information, and mobile carrier information, in addition to the postal code or geographic area to which the alert, update or notification pertains. If you no longer wish to receive these types of notifications, you may opt-out by turning them off within the settings of your mobile device or the particular Service for which you registered.
E. Other Types of Information We Collect. Certain of our mobile applications interface with Session M. If you have an account with Session M and choose to log into Session M's mPOINTS through one of our mobile applications to earn mPOINTS, Session M will provide us with your e-mail address. We do not use the e-mail address provided by Session M for any other purpose than to fulfill the Session M service.
F. Special Note about Content Submissions. The Services may from time to time offer areas where you and other users can post or otherwise submit information, photos, videos, graphics, creative suggestions, ideas, notes, concepts, information, ratings or other materials on or to the Services (collectively, "Submissions"). Any geo-location, tags or other metadata in Submissions may become publicly available. Any information, including personal data, in your Submissions can be read, collected, or used by others. We are not responsible for the information, including personal data, included in your Submissions.
2. Data Collection Technologies and Consumer Choice
We and third parties acting on our behalf use various technologies that help us to manage the operations of our Services and track usage behavior so that we can tailor information and advertisements to make your visits more enjoyable and meaningful. These data collection technologies include:
- Cookies: Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information that are downloaded to your computer or mobile device when you visit a website and stored within your browser. Cookies are then sent back to the originating website on each subsequent visit to that website or to another website that recognizes those cookies. Some cookies on our Services collect IP and Mac addresses, which may be considered personal data in some jurisdictions. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognize a user's device. If you have registered for a user account on the Site, these cookies may let us know who you are, may be necessary to access your account information, and may provide us and our service providers with information that we will use to personalize the Services in accordance with your preferences. You can find more information about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org.
- Web beacons and GIFs: Certain pages on the Services contain web beacons (also known as web bugs, pixel tags and clear GIFs). A pixel tag is an electronic image, often a single pixel (1x1), which is ordinarily not visible to users and may be associated with cookies on users' hard drives. A pixel tag allows us to understand which pages you visit on the Services and are used to help us optimize and tailor the Services for you and other future visitors to the website. Web beacons allow third parties to obtain information, such as the IP address of the computer that downloaded the page on which the web beacon appears, the URL of the page on which the web beacon appears, the time the page containing the web beacon was viewed, the type of browser used to view the page, and the information in cookies sent by the third party.
- Local Storage: We use local storage, such as HTML5 Local Storage, to enhance user experience by, for example, storing your user preferences and settings (e.g., volume/mute) in connection with animated content on the Services. Local storage is similar to browser cookies but can store data more complex than simple text. By itself, local storage cannot do anything to or with the data stored on your device. Like cookies, local storage can only access personal data that you have provided on the Services.
Information that we collect via the data collection technologies described in this section may be linked to other information about you and may be personal data. We use the technologies described in this section, alone or in combination, to provide, manage and administer the Services, understand user behavior, target and measure the effectiveness of advertisements, help diagnose problems, recognize repeat visitors, track and analyze usage behavior and, facilitate your access to and use of the Services.
Your browser, such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox and Safari, may allow you to manage your cookies and local storage. Because each browser is a little different, we encourage you to check your browsers' "Help" feature to learn how to block cookies, how to receive notification of new cookies, and how to disable existing cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to take full advantage of all the Services and some parts of the Services may not function properly. For more information about cookies, please visit www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies/.
We adhere to the self-regulatory principles of the Digital Advertising Alliance ("DAA"). We work with a variety of advertisers, advertising networks, advertising servers, and analytics companies ("Ad Partners") that use various technologies to collect data about your use of the Services (such as pages visited, ads viewed or clicked on) in order to send (or serve) relevant ads.
Ad Partners may place cookies, web beacons and/or other data collection technologies on the Services to (among other purposes): track how the Services are used, where users go and what they do after they leave the Services; link users' devices; and serve more relevant ads on the Services or other websites that you visit. More information about this type of advertising is available from the Network Advertising Initiative here.
In addition, you can find the links to our Ad Partners that may use data collection technologies on the Services here.
You may also opt-out of additional third-party advertising networks by going to the Network Advertising Initiative's website at www.networkadvertising.org and following the directions.
The DAA offers AppChoices, a separate choice tool for users to exercise control over the collection and use of data through mobile applications for interest-based advertising and other related uses. To exercise choice for participating companies, you can install the DAA's AppChoices application on your mobile device. Visit here for more information on DAA's AppChoices tool.
The opt-outs described above are device- or browser-specific and may not work on all devices. If you choose to opt-out through any of our Ad Partners' sites, you still may see advertisements but the advertisements will not be based on your interests.
You can also opt-out of future information collection from the Services by ceasing use of the Service or uninstalling the relevant mobile application.
We contract with certain third parties that use data collection technologies to track, analyze and report data about the use of the Services and to analyze and optimize the performance of the Services. Information about these third parties is available here.
3. How We Share or Disclose Your Information
One of the most valuable assets of our business is you. As part of the Services, we will prepare and maintain aggregated information collected from the Services and use it for our business purposes. This aggregated information will not contain identifiers that identify you or other individuals.
Except as described below, we do not rent or sell personal data about you with other people or non-affiliated companies.
A. Third-Party Processors. When your personal data is collected on the Services, it may be shared with selected third parties who assist us with our business operations, with the provision of the Services, with our marketing or advertising campaigns, or in delivering you the features and functionality that you have requested ("Third-Party Processors"). These Third-Party Processors include companies that process credit card information, handle shipping for us, and deliver materials to you via e-mail or postal service, for example. We also may provide personal data to third-party mapping service providers to provide you with map content for the Services. Third-Party Processors are authorized to use the personal data that we provide to them only to carry out the service they are providing for us. We require the Third-Party Processors by contract to secure your personal data and maintain it so that it can be accessed when needed for future purposes. All such Third-Party Processors are contractually bound by us to keep the personal data confidential.
B. Companies Offering Promotions, Products, or Services. We may share demographic information, location data, advertising identifiers, truncated IP address and aggregate (not individual) usage statistics for the Services with advertisers and other third parties.
At times, we also will provide you with the opportunity to opt-in to receive promotions, products or services from third-party sponsors. With your permission, we will periodically send to you, via e-mail, offers and promotions from our third-party sponsors which we select based upon your interests or user account. In this case, we do not share your information with the third-party sponsors - we do the e-mailing for them. You will always have the opportunity to opt-out of receiving future offers by following the unsubscribe link included with each of our e-mails. In other instances, we provide you with the opportunity to receive products and services directly from specifically-identified third parties through the Services. In these instances, you must explicitly consent to receive each offer. When you explicitly agree to receive offers from specific third parties, your information is shared with those specific third parties to enable them to provide you with the offer you have requested. We are not responsible for the information collection practices of these third parties, and all information provided is governed by the privacy policies of these third parties. You should review the privacy policies of these third parties before supplying personal data to them.
D. Purchase or Sale of Businesses. We continually look for ways to improve our business, including purchasing a business or selling all or part of our business. If we buy, merge, reorganize or sell any business, personal data and non-personal information will likely be disclosed or transferred as part of the transaction. If, in connection with a purchase, sale, merger or reorganization your personal data will be processed in a materially different way, our practice is to notify users who have provided us with an e-mail address via e-mail.
4. Other Limitations on Privacy
5. Opting-Out, Access, Corrections and Cancellations
If you have registered a user account with us, you may reset your password, update your personal data, correct information, delete your account or opt-out of certain Services, by accessing your account or you may contact us directly by sending us a letter to the address listed below, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law.
You may have the right to access, update, and correct inaccuracies in certain of your personal data in our custody and control, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. You may request to access, update and correct inaccuracies in personal data we have in our custody or control by writing to us at the contact information set out below. We may request certain personal information for the purposes of verifying the identity of the individual seeking access to his or her personal information records.
6. Minors' Privacy and Submissions
We are committed to protecting the safety and privacy of young people using the Internet. We do not knowingly collect personal data from children under age 13. We believe that children should get their parents or guardians consent before giving out any personal data. If you become aware that we have collected personal data from a child without parental consent, please notify us promptly by sending us a letter to the address listed below. If we become aware that a child under age 13 has provided us with personal data without parental consent, we will take steps to remove such personal data.
If you are a California resident under age 18 and are a registered user of any of the Services, then you may request that we remove any Submissions that you publicly posted on or in the Services. To request removal of a Submission, please contact us by sending us a letter to the address listed below with a detailed description of the specific Submission. We reserve the right to request that you provide information that will enable us to confirm that the Submission that you want removed was created and posted by you.
We will make a good faith effort to delete or remove your Submission from public view as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note, however, that your request that we delete your Submission does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of your Submission. Your Submission may remain on backup media, cached or otherwise retained by us for administrative or legal purposes or your Submission may remain publicly available if you or someone else has forwarded or re-posted your Submission on another website or service prior to its deletion. We may be required by law to not remove or allow removal of your Submission.
7. International Transfer
The Services are intended for users located in the United States. The Services are hosted on servers inside and outside the United States. If you are located in the European Union or elsewhere outside of the United States, information that we collect (including through cookies) will be processed and stored in the United States, a jurisdiction in which the data protection and privacy laws may not offer the same level of protection as those in the country where you reside or are a citizen. By using our Services and providing information to use, you consent to the transfer to and processing of information in the United States.
8. Our Commitment to Security
We have put in place physical, electronic and managerial procedures intended to protect your data. Of course, we cannot guarantee that your communications with the Services will never be unlawfully intercepted or that your personal data will never be unlawfully accessed by third parties. Any transmission of information is at your own risk.
Intellicast Customer Care/Privacy Office
400 Minuteman Road
Andover, MA 01810